A number of church buildings across the diocese are taking part in Cadw’s Wales-wide Open Doors heritage festival. We’ll be throwing open our doors and welcoming visitors to view our historic church buildings.
Tag us in your photos and tell us about your visit using #LlandaffOpenDoors
Here’s who’s taking part.
St. Margaret’s Church, Waterloo Road, Roath
Sat 21 Sep 2019 13:30 – 17:30
Sun 22 Sep 2.00 – 5.30
St. Margaret’s Church was commissioned by the 3rd Marquess of Bute and built in 1870 to designs by John Prichard.
Download St Margaret’s events poster here.
- Guided Tours – learn the history of this Grade 1 Listed church, its ancient site and its links with the Bute family.
- Visit the Mausoleum – see the massive polished granite tombs of the 1st Marquess and eight members of his family.
- Climb the tower (weather permitting) – for panoramic views of the city and, on a clear day, both Severn bridges.
- Trace your ancestors – the Parish Registers date back to 1731
Children’s quiz trail – in the church and grounds .
- Enjoy delicious refreshments – tea, coffee and home-made cakes.
- Take home a souvenir – guidebooks, leaflets, DVDs, plants and mementos of your visit.
Ewenny Priory, CF35 5BW
Sat 28 Sep 2019 and Sun 29 Sep 2019
11:00 – 16:00
Founded in 1141 by Maurice de Londres as an offshoot of Gloucester’s Benedictine abbey. The nave of the Priory, with its rounded arches and thick pillars, is in use as the parish church.
Chapel of St Michael and All Angels, St Padarn’s College, Llandaff, CF5 2YJ
Wed 11 Sep 2019 10:00 – 12:00
The unique Chapel of St Michael and All Angels in the quadrangle of St Padarn’s College, Cardiff Road, Llandaff.
St Tyfodwg’s Church, Glynogwr, Nr Blackmill, CF35 6EL
Sat 14 Sep 2019 10:00 – 14:00
St Tyfodwg’s is the ancient parish church of Llandyfodwg, and stands on the uplands of Glamorgan in the village of Glynogwr (Llandyfodwg).
The Church of St Mary the Virgin, Butetown, Cardiff, CF10 5HB
Sat 14 Sept 2019 13:30 – 17:30.
Sunday 15 Sept 2019 14:00 – 1700
St Mary’s Church was built in 1843 in response to the growing population in the docks area of Cardiff. Here’s a glimpse inside.
Sat 14 Sept 2019 12:30 – 16:00
Booking is only required for bell tower tours; otherwise just turn up and come inside. All welcome.
12.30pm – organ recital/demonstration with Stephen Moore and David Thomas.
1.30pm – open archives.
2.00pm – cathedral guided tour.
3.15pm and 4pm – guided tours of theBell Tower. Must be booked on 02921 154275.